The Food Policy Networks project will be leading a co-learning and sharing workshop on how to integrate equity and systems practices both into food councils’ organizational structures and policy work. Together, we will share and explore specific tangible examples of how food councils are applying systems thinking and equity commitments in practice.
11:30 a.m. - noon
noon - 12:30 p.m.
Networking Lunch; Lunch included
12:30 - 1 p.m.
Ohio Food Policy Network
Local Food Hero award
12:30 - 1:15 p.m.
A State and National View on Food Policy Councils
State and national food policy network leaders will share views on the current moment in food policy, including an update from the Ohio Food Policy Network. The statewide Local Food Hero Award will also be presented during this opening session.
- Michelle Moskowitz Brown, Chair, Ohio Food Policy Network, and Executive Director, Local Matters
- Anne Palmer, Program Director, Food Communities & Public Health Program, Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future
- Raychel Santo:, Senior Program Coordinator, Food Production & Public Health and Food Communities & Public Health, Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future
- Jalisa Dawkins, Local Food Systems Strategies Manager, Columbus Public Health
1:15 - 2:30 p.m.
Equity in Food System Economic Development
The development of Ohio’s local and regional food systems will require significant community efforts as well as public and private economic investment. This session will examine the racialized and inequitable history of economic investment and explore innovative and equitable approaches to food business development with a panel of experts and practitioners.
- Dr. Jason Reece, Assistant Professor, City & Regional Planning, Knowlton School of Architecture, The Ohio State University
- Toby Rittner, President & CEO, Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA)
- Melinda Carter, Executive Director, Strategic Partnerships and Business Development, Minority Business Assistance Center (MBAC) / Columbus Urban League
- Tamela F. Walker, MBA, Torlitas, LLC, Owner
- Hannah Scott, Program Manager, CFAES Center for Cooperatives, The Ohio State University
- Walt Bonham, Creator/Operator, The Food Lab; Urban Farm Manager/Consultant, North End Community Improvement Collaborative (NECIC); Farmer/Board Trustee, Richland Gro-Op Cooperative Inc.
- Leslie Schaller, Director of Programs, ACEnet; Business Director and Worker-Owner, Casa Nueva Cooperative
2:30 - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 - 4 p.m.
The Food and Farm Policy Landscape for Ohio: History, Wins,
Challenges and Opportunities
This session will review the “lay of the land” in food and agricultural policy in the state and discuss some of the challenges for farmers as they face increasingly severe weather events.
- Amalie Lipstreu, Policy Program Coordinator, Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association
- Fred Yoder, Farmer/Owner, Yoder Ag Services in Plain City, OH; Chair of The North American Climate Smart Agriculture Alliance
- Paul Dorrance, Farmer/Owner, Pastured Providence Farmstead in Chillicothe, OH; Air Force Reservist
- Caroline McColloch, Farmer/Owner, Chez Nous Farm in Piqua, OH
4 - 5 p.m.
KEYNOTE PANEL – New Administration, New Opportunities: An Update on the State's Goals for Nutrition and Farm to School Programs
The office of Governor DeWine will share the Governor’s and First Lady’s vision for better nutrition for Ohioans and how state agencies will work together to accomplish those goals.
- Cathy Corbitt, Deputy Director of Children’s Initiatives at the Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Kara Bertke-Wente, Assistant Director of Health and Human Services at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
- Stephanie Siddens, Senior Executive Director of the Center for Student Supports at the Ohio Department of Education
- Sarah Ginnetti, Program Consultant for Creating Healthy Communities at the Ohio Department of Health
- LeeAnne Cornyn, Director of Children’s Initiatives for Governor DeWine