Undergrad Institution and Major:
BA (political science and environmental ethics and policy), The University of Portland
Graduate Institutions and Major:
MS (regenerative studies for sustainable development), California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
My research investigates how rural communities use collaborative, multi-stakeholder governance processes to foster development in the context of local and regional food systems. I approach this topic using a qualitative, interpretive methodology to understand the experience of participants within the process and how their relationships, perception of issues, and place in the community influence rural collaborative governance. I am particularly interested in the role of informal social networks within collaborative policy-making and the implications for social equity.
Relevant Professional Experience:
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Glenn College of Public Affairs, Columbus, Ohio, 2017-present
- Policy Analyst, Fair Farms Maryland, Takoma Park, MD, 2016
- Research Associate, EcoAgriculture Partners, Washington, DC, 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant, Cal Poly Pomona Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Pomona, CA, 2014-2015
Professional Service Activities:
- Public Affairs 2367, Writing and Communication in Public Affairs, Glenn College of Public Affairs, Ohio State University (Spring 2019) – Instructor of record this General Education (GE) class of 25 students from multiple majors. Course covered the foundations of memo writing, public speaking and speech writing, and delivering written testimony.
- Public Affairs 2110, Introduction to Public Affairs, Glenn College of Public Affairs, Ohio State University (Fall 2018) – Designer and instructor of record for this three-credit introductory course covering introductions to the structure of government and public administration, policy analysis, and public management. Class included high school students earning dual high school and college credit.
Colloquium Director, Glenn College of Public Affairs, 2017-2018
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
Selected Refereed Conference Papers and Presentations:
- Clark, Jill K., Julia Freedgood, Aiden Irish, Kim Hodgson, and Samina Raja (2017). “Fail to Include, Plan to Exclude: Reflections on local governments’ readiness to address equity in food systems policy.” Built Environment, 43(3).
- Irish, Aiden (2014). “An Ethos of Sustainability: Integrated Sustainability for Urban Development.” International Journal of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities.
- Irish, Aiden (2017). “Assessing Local Government Capacity for Implementing Sustainable Transportation: The Role of Political Culture.” International Journal of Public Administration, 40(5).
Reports and Professional Publications:
- Irish, Aiden, “Trust in the Process: A Framework for Trust in Collaborative Governance,” American Society for Public Administration National Conference, Washington, D.C., March 8-12, 2019.
- Irish, Aiden, Jill K. Clark, Karen Banks, Anne Palmer, and Raychel Santo, “The State of U.S. Food Policy Councils: A Public Administration Perspective,” Joint 2017 Annual Meetings and Conference of the Association for the Study of Food and Society and the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society, Los Angeles, CA, June 14-17, 2017.
- Irish, Aiden, “Political Culture Obstacles to Sustainable Transportation Development,” Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences National Conference, San Diego, CA, June 25, 2015.
- Irish, Aiden (2018). “Interview Responses of Local Food Action Planning Working Committee Members.” Prepared for Columbus Public Health.
- Irish, Aiden (2016). “Diversifying the Agricultural Basket: Risks in Conventional Poultry on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and Opportunities from Diversified Agriculture.” Fair Farms Maryland.
- Irish, Aiden (2015). “Environmental Trust Funds: Case Studies and Institutional Structures.” Prepared for EcoAgriculture Partners.
- Irish, Aiden (2016). “The Price of a Chicken in Every Pot: Assessing the Impact of the Poultry Industry in Maryland.” Prepared for Fair Farms Maryland.