8 - 9 a.m.
Registration and Breakfast
9 – 10:15 a.m.
, Dean, John Glenn College of Public Affairs
Discussion: The Future of Public Service and Leadership
, President, Volcker Alliance
Moderated by Dean Trevor Brown
10:30 – 11:45 a.m.
Striking Balance: Criminal Justice Reform in Ohio
Efforts to reform the criminal justice system are gaining new momentum across the country, including right here in Ohio. This panel will feature a discussion on the driving forces behind this momentum, and an overview of statewide reform efforts that are underway. Expert panelists will provide attendees with each of their unique perspectives on the challenges and opportunities in striking the right balance among public safety, fiscal prudence, recompense and social justice.
Moderator: Fritz Rauschenberg
Missing! Health and Human Services Workforce
As older adults retire from service-oriented jobs, the health and human service sector is losing workforce capacity at alarming rates. In addition to the workforce shortages, a good overall economy, low wages in these fields, and less attractive benefits are contributing to the crisis of capacity in these critically needed fields. What can be done to reverse the trend and recruit this vital workforce? What is the role of technology in helping to fill some of this need? What does this mean for public managers and governance? What does it mean for the people who are being served? Our panelists will share their expertise to help us answer some of these important questions.
Moderator: Amy Rohling McGee
, President, Health Policy Institute of Ohio
- Jeff Davis, Director, Department of Developmental Disabilities
- Teresa Lampl, CEO, The Ohio Council of Behavioral Health and Family Services Providers
- Department of Higher Education representative, Health Care Workforce Taskforce
Big Data: Big Difference
Come and learn about how the state of Ohio is using data to make a difference in the lives of Ohioans. The recently launched InnovateOhio platform will allow the state to take advantage of advancements in technology to harness the power of data to improve programs and services and change lives. Learn about a big data project that is helping to inform the complex problem of infant mortality, as well as other promising projects and initiatives that this technology can enable.
Moderator: Eric Russell
, Senior Manager, Crowe LLP
- Derek Bridges, Chief Data Analytics Officer, State of Ohio
- Brian Fowler, Chief Data Officer and Chief of the Bureau of Informatics and Data Management, Ohio Department of Health
Medical Cannabis: Employer anxiety or no legal buzz necessary?
The panel will discuss the industry’s current employment and management challenges in Ohio workplaces as the usage of medical cannabis increases. As drug-free workplace policies are challenged, employers may need to re-examine their policies for modifications under Ohio law. Whether you are an employer or an employee approved for medical cannabis use, this session will provide key insight into implications for hiring, liability and, insurance
Moderator: Jennifer Robinson
, Director of Human Resources and Customer Service, Franklin County Public Health
- Chad Blackham, Associate, Mac Murray & Shuster LLP
- Juanita Brent, State Representative, Ohio's 12th District
- Kelli Hykes, cannabis sector legislative affairs professional
- Michel Jendretzky, Attorney- Newhouse, Prophater, Kolman & Hogan, LLC
- Dr. Joel Simmons, Board certified Oncologist (Radiation), Ohio Herbal Clinic