Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice Administration
Master the skills needed to lead in criminal justice administration.
This 15-credit-hour graduate certificate program, offered jointly with the Department of Sociology, is designed for working professionals who are looking to advance their careers by attaining the necessary skills and training for administrative roles in criminal justice organizations.
This certificate is designed for individuals who are looking to cultivate their leadership skills and make a bigger impact.
Students take 15 credit hours to complete the graduate certificate. Twelve credits will be in core courses, and three credits will be elective. Program can typically be completed in three to four semesters.
- PubAfrs 5506: Administration of Criminal Justice Policy (three credits)
- PubAfrs 6045: Fundamentals of Budgeting & Financial Administration (two credits)
- PubAfrs 6075: Data, Models & Evaluation (four credits)
- Sociol 5950: Evidence-Based Practice in Criminal Justice (three credits)
- PubAfrs 6060: Managerial Leadership in Public and Nonprofit Organizations (four credits)
- PubAfrs 7507: Criminal Justice Policy (three credits)
- Sociol 5925: Offender Decision Making and Prisoner Reentry (three credits)
- Other electives may be approved. Contact your advisor.
Review the application steps below before starting your application.
- Autumn entry: June 30
- Spring entry: Nov. 15
- Summer entry: March 15
Program Code: PUBADM-CR
The status will first become available two to three days after your application is received. Visit appstatus.osu.edu to check the status of your application during the admissions process.
- $60 for domestic applicants
- $70 for international applicants
- This fee is nonrefundable
Graduates of The Ohio State University applying to an online degree program are eligible for an application fee waiver. More information available HERE.
The statement of purpose should address your academic and career goals, your interest in the John Glenn College of Public Affairs, and how your education and work experience qualify you for admission. There is no length requirement for the personal statement.
Resume or CV: Be sure to include work experience, volunteer activities, academics and professional honors, honorary societies, extracurricular activities, offices held, any publications and other significant activities.
Letters of recommendation are not required for the application to the Criminal Justice Administration certificate program.
Upload transcripts from ALL of the universities and colleges you attended with your online application as an attachment.
- Transcripts are required, even for classes transferred from another institution, including classes attended during high school or completed through a study abroad program.
- Transcripts are not required for coursework completed at Ohio State.
- Submit copies (front and back) of official transcripts. Please submit only scanned images of official transcripts issued by your institution’s registrar. Ohio State will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
Transcripts submitted with the online application are considered unofficial and, if admitted, you will be required to submit an official set of transcripts with statement of degree (if appropriate) prior to enrolling at Ohio State.
The GRE is not required.
Student Services and Benefits: Ohio State's online students are eligible to receive support services and benefits from many organizations across the university.
Want to find out if you are ready for online learning? Take The Ohio State University's online readiness assessment.
The online certificate program is primarily offered as an asynchronous learning experience. However, on occasion a class may schedule synchronous sessions two to three times per semester to allow for deeper engagement between the instructor and students.
The Office of Graduate & Professional Admissions is the centralized office at Ohio State that handles all of the incoming graduate and professional application materials for all programs. If you have questions about official documentation (transcripts and test scores), they are your best contact. Their website also has additional checklists and useful links to assist in your application to the Glenn College.
Graduate Certificates at the Glenn College
Explore our other graduate certificate programs.