Five-day, nonpartisan leadership academy
Women across the country are energized and seeking out ways to become more involved in the political process. NEW Leadership offers college students the opportunity to meet successful women leaders and learn how to be effective advocates for issues that matter most to them.
On the Ohio State main campus May 20-24, 2024. Apply by April 14, 2024.
Designed for college students who want to become more involved in politics and address women’s underrepresentation in politics and government.
- NEW Leadership is open to students at all higher education institutions in Ohio.
- Eligible applicants must be registered for the 2024-2025 academic year in either a two-year institution or be a rising junior or senior at a four-year institution.
- Anyone is welcome to apply, but nearly all participants are women.
- The POWER Commission will review applications and select up to 34 participants.
- Priority will be given to select two students from each of Ohio’s 14 public universities.
- Applicants will receive an email letting them know if their application has been accepted.
- We do our best to accommodate everyone who wants to participate but the program is competitive.
- No cost to apply. If selected, there is a $50 registration fee.
- Training materials, most meals, and lodging (a $2,200 value) are provided through generous support from the State of Ohio Leadership Institute.
- Monday 9:00 AM the program starts with move-in followed by orientation and a welcome luncheon.
- Monday-Thursday workshops on leadership styles, communication, public speaking, fundraising, advocacy, lobbying, and running for public office.
- Monday-Friday teams choose, develop, and present a political action project.
- One day is devoted to meeting leaders onsite at the Ohio Statehouse and Ohio Supreme Court.
- Friday program ends with a closing luncheon and political project presentations.
- Friday 2:30 PM the program adjourns.